Makers & Shakers: Young People’s Skills Training
|What you'll make||Your own project|
|Skills you'll learn||Wood and metalwork|
|Duration||6 x Thursday Mornings, 10am - 1pm|
Thursday 31 October, 2019
Thursday 7 November, 2019
Thursday 14 November, 2019
Thursday 21 November, 2019
Thursday 28 November, 2019
Thursday 5 December, 2019
Price: *Free* - If you can attend all 6 sessions and fit criteria Book
We’re offering six young people aged 16-25 the chance to learn key wood and metalwork skills through a number of hands-on projects using a variety of tools and workshop machinery. This six week course is free to those demonstrating a keen interest.
After the introductory 3 weeks, you’ll have the chance to get stuck into your own project with technical support and advice when you need it.
Sessions will run every Thursday between 10am and 1pm over a course of six weeks.
Starting Thursday 31st October – 5th December 2019.
Outline of Sessions:
Introduction to Wood and Metalwork
– Complete Level 1 Woodwork Induction, learning use of Chopsaw, Bandsaw, Pillar Drill and Disc Sander
– Introduction to metalwork
– Discussion of the different materials, benefits and limitations of each
Steam Bending Wood and Heat
– bending wood with steam and heat using a mould and template, commonly used for making items such as guitars or chairs
Audio Speaker Build with sheet metal working
– Build an audio Speaker using metalworking machinery including guillotine, folder and flypress.
– Discuss traditional and modern manufacturing methods
Week 4 & 5:
Own Project Using Skills Learnt